based upon the pioneering work by the late M.W Beresford published in 'The Lost Villages of England '
Adbolton SK 600384 - just to the west of the National Water Sports Centre.
Algarthorpe +SK 555425 - perhaps about at junction of Radford Road and Eland Street in Basford, Nottingham.
Annesley SK 504524 - near present day Annesley Hall. Perhaps removed by the landowner who wished to extend the bounds of his private park and garden. Example of 'emparking enclosure'.
Babworth SK 685809 - west of Retford where Babworth Hall now stands ? Close to Morton in Babworth DMV
Beesthorpe SK 730605 - to north of road between Maplebeck and Caunton. On site of Beesthorpe farm.
Bilby SK 639832 - close to modern Bilby Farm. Near to bridge over River Ryton.
Bingham SK 714397 - in open field called Crow Close to east of present town centre. Formerly thought of as a ' Migrated' village'. (The Black Death came to the village in 1347 and there was a sharp fall in the population). But recently it has been suggested that the earthworks of Crow Close represent , not a DMV at all, but instead the remains of the hall/farmhouse and possible estate cottages of a wealthy family of freeholders called Porter, See: A. Henstock & P. Allen, ‘ Bingham Hall and the Porter Family: A New Interpretation of the “Deserted Medieval Village” at Crow Close, Bingham, Nottinghamshire’ in Transactions of the Thoroton Society of Nottinghamshire, Vol. 116 (2012)
Bolham SK 704826 - on R. Idle, one mile North of Retford. A few houses and a Manor House by the river. Close to Tiln, qv.
Broadbusk +SK 688480 - site of Spital Fm on A612 SW of Thurgaton.
Broxtowe SK 527427 - under present day council estate. Centre of lost village perhaps near Broxtowe Hall Close.
West Burton SK 798855 - close to power station site, in fields to south of River Road. Church demolished ca. 1886 after (chiefly late 18th century) decline in population of village, perhaps due to high rents . http://www.webbaviation.co.uk/gallery/v/nottinghamshire/west-burton-mg1617.jpg.html
See :'Transactions Thoroton Society' (1967) 71, p 70
A map exists circa 1750, showing houses on the west bank of the Trent, and along a street leading west into fields, which are already enclosed. Twelve farms and the church are shown. Sheffield City Libraries, Fairbank Ms.
Carburton SK 611733 - by river Poulter in middle of Clumber Park. A forest settlement absorbed into parkland.
East Chilwell +SK 540380 - in grounds of Nottm. University campus ? See Keighton. Present day Chilwell was sometimes called 'West Chilwell in old records. Alternatively +SK 540360 - in Beeston Rylands or +SK 522359 or near bottom of Cator lane/ just north of (or on) Chilwell Manor golf course. A. Cossons, 'East Chilwell and Keighton in Transactions of the Thoroton Society of Nottinghamshire, Vol. 33 (1929), p. 1-10
Clowne +SK 579737 - east, south east of Welbeck Abbey. Name is preserved in 'Clown Hill Plantation', amongst whose trees, 'stones' were marked on the 6" map of 1888 . Takes its name from the River Clun or Clumber now called the River Poulter.
Clumber SK 627747 - close to the chapel, North of the lake in Clumber Park. The name means 'Hill by the (River) Clowne' -see Clowne, above.
Colston Basset SK 695338 - north west of present village. 'Migrated' village. Isolated remains of old church, a roofless ruin since 1892. A local tradition that a plague of 1604 was the reason for the removal of the old village, from the immediate vicinity of the old parish church, to its present situation seems unlikely as a contemporary map indicates it had already vanished by that date.
Over Colwick SK 602390 - under site of present Hall/Racecourse ?
Cratley or Crastell SK 666640 - close to site of North Laiths Farm.
In Domesday 1086 it has '22 villeins and 2 bordars having 9 ploughs as well as 2 ploughs in demesne' , so it was a large village. Reduced by the abbot of Rufford to the status of a grange, soon after after the foundation of the Abbey in c.1145. Rufford Estate map of 1637 names two fields as East and West Credlin.
See: Thoroton Society Record Series Vol XXX 'Rufford Charters Vol 2' , p 390 ed. C J Holdsworth.
See also: Winkerfield q.v..
Dallington +SK 778429 - lost in Flawborough parish. Perhaps 500m west of Flawborough where footpath turns S to run along bank of River Smite.
Danethorpe SK 842577 - south of Brough, east of Fosse Way. - the local tradition is that it was destroyed by an earthquake.
Farworth +SK 629894 - By a ford across the River Ryton . The name, meaning perhaps 'Sheep Ford', is given to 3 or 4 fields to the west of Serlby Hall between the river and the A614 (see Serlby). The village was supposedly razed by Lord Galway when he was laying out Serlby Hall .
"Within the pleasure grounds there is a large mound, thickly covered with leafy shrubs and tangled undergrowth. This was once the site of a church, all traces of which have long since disappeared just as the village of Farworth, the smoke of whose quiet cottages curled among the trees near Serlby Hall, has disappeared. Not a vestige of the village remains, but the plough occasionally unearths some remnant of brick or stone which once belonged to the foundations". -'The Great Houses of Nottinghamshire and the County Families'. 1881 Leonard Jacks
Flawford SK 593332 - church foundations visible in field,NW of Plumtree. - merged or migrated with/to Ruddington or Plumtree ? Once important, for its church was the mother church of the chapelries of Ruddington and Edwalton. Services in the church were discontinued about 1718. The church stood deserted until 1773, when it was pulled down.
'This church of Flawford was a Saxon edifice, dedicated to St Peter, and had a lofty spire steeple, and many curious monuments with cross-legged figures; but having been deserted by the parishioners it bacame ruinous, and a licence was obtained from the archbishop in 1773 to take it down. Its ancient tombs and other ornaments were all destroyed or mutilated by "colliers" employed in the work of demolition, and Throsby says, many of them were taken to build bridges, and to mend the roads.'-White's Directory of Nottinghamshire 1853
Fleecethorpe SK 629836 - On site of Fleecethorpe Farm in Hodsock Parish, and just west of the River Ryton. - The name means 'Flik's meadow' where Flik is a Danish name.
Gleadthorpe +SK 592701 - just east of Meden Vale colliery tip. 'Gleadthorpe Grange is a tithe-free estate, 2 miles north-east of Warsop, and contains 714a 3r 29p of land, in the township of Warsop, and was part of that manor, until it was granted to the monks of Welbeck. It is now the property of the Duke of Portland, and in the occupancy of Mr William Bell'-White's Directory of Nottinghamshire 1853
Greasley SK 489471 - little to SW of modern village. Close by are the remains of Greasley Castle, which are now incorporated into farm buildings. See: http://www.greasleypc.co.uk/lost-village-project/
Gringley, Little SK 734811 - 1½ miles east of Retford. A hamlet of scattered houses on the declivity of a hill. Reputedly it had a chapel, of which no traces now remain, though in the 19th century a stone coffin and several human bones were dug up near its supposed site. 'Little' to distinguish from Gringley on the Hill.
Grimston Hill SK 682658 - fields either side of road between Wellow and Ompton on A616.
In Domesday Book 1086 as Grimestune.
Either a victim of Cistercian land clearances after the foundation of Rufford Abbey in c.1145 (see Cratley and Winkerfield q.v.) or possibly 'emparked' in the thirteenth century, and to be associated with the Foliot family, especially Jordan Foliot (1239-1299), and the nearby circular moated site called 'Jordan Castle' about 1km to the NNW.
See :'Transactions Thoroton Society' (1994) vol 98, pp67-68.
Haughton SK 692730 - by River Maun just NW of Bevercotes. Lonely remains of a chapel by the river.
'This decayed parish was once the splendid and hospitable seat of the Earls of Clare, and the first Duke of Newcastle, but has now only the ruins of a chapel, a deserted paper mill, a corn mill, and eight scattered houses on the rivers Medin and Idle, 5 miles north-west of Tuxford and 7 miles south-south-west of Retford. It comprises 1,000 acres of rich land and 78 inhabitants. It contains several vigorous plantations, and an excellent decoy for wild fowl, consisting of 20 acres of water, and about the same extent of "cover".' -White's Directory of Nottinghamshire 1853
Hempshill SK 525441 - close to modern day Hempshill Farm off the A6002, Low Wood Rd . Hempshill was recorded as Hamessel in Domesday survey .'...a small hamlet containing 50 acres of land in the parish of Greasley, though separated from it by Nuthall and Bulwell. Hempshill Hall is a neat and picturesque mansion four miles north-west of Nottingham, and is the seat of George Bacon Esq.'- White's Directory of Nottinghamshire 1853
Hermeston SK 589884 - just S of Oldcotes on A60.
Holbeck SK 658527 - near Holbeck Fm off Oxton/Halam road.
Holme Pierrepont SK 624393 - near site of Hall and Church.
Horsepool SK 706478 - near Coneygre Fm NE of Hoveringham. Evidence lost to gravel pit workings ?
Keighton SK 542382 - just north of East Drive on Nottm University campus. The site was first noted in 1940, when wartime `digging for victory’ brought to light pieces of medieval pottery and tile. (See also East Chilwell).
Keighton seems to have been an industrial estate which produced mainly pottery and tiles, but also ironwork; perhaps this was to supply Lenton Priory which was nearby.
See :'Transactions Thoroton Society' (2001) 105, p 37
Kilvington SK 801429 - S of the road which runs from Staunton in the Vale to Alverton. Footpaths to nowhere in particular, meet in a field between the road and the River Devon which marks the Leics border.
Kinoulton SK 662304 - near bend in road to west of modern village. 'Migrated' village.
Knapthorpe SK 740588 - 1500m S of Caunton on Newark Road.
..hamlet, 1 mile south-west of Caunton, belongs to John Parkinson Junr. Esq. of Hexgrave Park. It was anciently called Chenapethorpe, and was partly soc to Laxton. It contains 500 acres and 35 inhabitants.-White's Directory of Nottinghamshire 1853
Langford SK 822591 - between A1133 and A46, north east of Winthorpe. Landeforde in Domesday Book 1086. Now only represented by Langford Hall, its park and farm.
Meering SK 818655 - across the river from Sutton on Trent, to the west of the old alternative course of the Trent which is called the Fleet. "... is an extra parochial farm of 700 acres, of low marshy grazing land, in the occupation of Mr George Catcliffe. It anciently gave name to a resident family of considerable note, who gave part of it to the priories of Lenton and Radford. It now contributes to the repairs of Sutton church. In 1843, two ancient pewter measures were washed up by the Trent, one of which held two quarts, and the other three pints. Human bones and skulls are often also washed up by the Trent. It is said part of the old religious house was used in building Sutton church.-White's Directory of Nottinghamshire 1853
Milnthorpe SK 578723 - on River Poulter, E of Norton. On site of modern Milnthorpe Lodge. "..a small hamlet ¼ mile east of Norton. Hatfield, a farm containing about 90 acres, ¾ mile south-east of Norton, is the property of Edward Fox Esq. of Bolsover, a minor. Hatfield Grange, a large farm ½ mile south-east of Norton, is the property of the Duke of Portland, and in 1850 His Grace added 8 acres of flood ground, which has very much improved the farm."-White's Directory of Nottinghamshire 1853
Moorhouse SK 753667 - in Laxton Parish. A chapel, erected 1861, separated from a few farmhouses and a lumpy field suggesting settlement earthworks. Perhaps a shrunken settlement.
Morton in Babworth +SK 677801 - on Old London Road/Green Lane S of Ranby Prison. Close to Babworth DMV
Morton in Lenton +SK 547373 - Possibly now on the factory site of the Boots Company Ltd. Just west of the Harriman's Lane gatepost, formerly the site of Dunkirk Farm.
Nettleworth SK 549658 - near Nettleworth Manor House and Farm S of B6407 , N of golf course. In the 1334 Lay Subsidy, Market Warsop and Nettleworth were assessed together at £13.
Newbold +SK68?31? - perhaps off Hall Lane NE of Kinoulton.
Normanton SK 650747 - on A614 at Clumber Park Hotel, formerly the 'Normanton Inn'.
Osberton SK 624800 - under Osberton Park SW of Scofton.
Ossington SK 760650 - by lake just to NE of modern village.
Oswaldbeck +SK 777855 - N of Wheatley Road, E of South Wheatley ? - perhaps only a manor, mentioned as early as 1130, or maybe the meeting place of the wapentake of Wardebec/Oswaldbec/Oswardebeck, later the North Clay Division of Bassetlaw Wapentake . It takes its name from the stream running hereabouts.
Plumtree SK 632923 - ? on site of Plumtree Farm at Bircotes on Yorks county boundary. Not to be confused with modern Plumtree, south of Nottm.
Rayton SK 615793 - on River Ryton near Rayton Fm E of Worksop. Old OS maps show a 'moat' type feature in the field corner formed by the wood and a bend of the River Ryton, south east of the farm.
Rempstone SK 575245 - just to west of modern village. 'Migrated' village.
Rufford SK 657642 - in Rufford Country Park. Disappeared circa 1145 when it was perhaps removed to make way for the establishment by Gilbert de Gant, of the Abbey of the Cistercians at Rufford.
See: Winkerfield and Cratley q.v.
Serlby SK 633895 - in grounds of Serlby Hall NW of Ranskill. Serlby Hall was built in 1760 by Lord Galway - see Farworth, above.
Stanton-on-the-Wolds SK 631307 - hundred metres north west of tiny church. Remains of an old Manor House and field mounds. Perhaps not a DMV, rather diminished in size without ever being deserted. Shrunken in post-medieval times ? Supposedly devastated by the same hailstorm that did for Thorpe in the Glebe (qv).
East Stoke SK 748501- a few hundred yards N of the modern village. 'Migrated' village. Near to site of Battle of Stoke Field in 1487.
Sutton Passeys +SK 530390 - in the area of the 'Crown Island' traffic roundabout and north-west corner of the Jubilee Campus of Nottm University ?
A small settlement declining for many years and probably finally depopulated by Sir Henry Willoughby in 1493 and incorporated into Wollaton Park.
It was at the insistence in the 1920s of John Holland Walker, Secretary of the Thoroton Society, that the village name has survived as a street name. See :'Transactions Thoroton Society' (1976) 80, pp47-59
Swanston +SK 810750 - perhaps off Chequers Lane N of Dunham on Trent. East of road which runs south from Laneham to Dunham on Trent. Swarnesterne or Swaynstorn in 'Thoroton Society Record Series', vol. iii., p. 182 and See 'Transactions Thoroton Society' (1907) 11, p 139
Thoresby +SK 648712 - perhaps just west of Perlethorpe. A forest settlement absorbed into parkland.
Thorney SK 860726 - immediately south of modern village.
Thorpe in the Glebe SK 607258 - S of Wysall on Leics border. Sometimes called Thorpe in the Clottes. ' Tradition says, that this place was destroyed either at the Battle of Willoughby Field, or by a hail-storm' - White's Directory of Nottinghamshire 1853
More likely it was a late settlement on heavy 'clarty' soil with a small population.
See :'Transactions Thoroton Society' (1981) 85, pp56-67 and http://www.hoap.co.uk/who/who44.htm
Tiln SK 703842 - on R. Idle, one and a half miles North of Retford. Mentioned in Domesday Book. Close to Bolham, qv.
Wainscarre +SK615877 - lost in Blyth parish. Perhaps N of the road to Oldcotes near the 'Old Bridge'. The name may mean 'a gap through which a wain, or cart can pass'.
Wansley SK 461515 - on Lower Bagthorpe Rd W of Old Bagthorpe. Wansley Hall was originally Wandeslie Manor. It was owned by Lord Leuric at the time of the Domesday Book. In 1279 it was owned by Ralph de Wandesley. It is now a ruin
Warby +SK 633324 - to the east of Normanton on the Wolds. Where footpaths cross amongst earthworks.
Welham SK 727822 - Perhaps close to Pinfolds Farm near to the modern village of Welham on A620, E of Retford.
South Wheatley SK 767856 - ruined church north east of modern village.
Whimpton SK 795740 - south of A57, 1km east of Darlton. Wimentun in the Domesday survey. Sunken road-ways, earthen enclosures mostly rectangular in outline, and a raised earthen platform, chiefly in the thirty-acre field to the south of the road which is known as Whimpton Field. See :'Transactions Thoroton Society' (1907) 11, p 139
Willoughby by Norwell SK 788632 - moated site south west of Carlton on Trent. Probably destroyed by the creation of pastureland upon which more lucrative flocks of sheep could be grazed.
Willoughby by Walesby SK 689708 - few hundred yards east of Walesby church.
Winkerfield SK 630606 - at Inkersall Farm, west of A614 at Bilsthorpe In In Domesday Book 1086 as Wirchenefeld.
Probably depopulated by the abbot of Rufford , soon after after the foundation of the Abbey in c.1145. The DMV's name is preserved in the name of the farm.
See: Cratley q.v..
Wiverton SK 715365 - moated site by Wiverton Hall west of Tithby.
Woodcoates SK 780718 - 1 mile south of Darlton near Wells Fm. Footpaths aplenty to nowhere in particular.
Woolsthorpe +SK 655464 - perhaps in grounds of Lowdham Grange prison.
Note: Professor Beresford lists Hesley SK 618 957 and Steetley SK 544 787 in his list of Nottinghamshire DMVs, but they are not included here as they are almost certainly in Yorkshire.
See also Gainsthorpe SE 956011 in Lincolnshire
and Wharram Percy SE 858646 in North Yorkshire
A time there was, ere England's griefs began,
When every rood of ground maintain'd its man;
For him light labour spread her wholesome store,
Just gave what life requir'd, but gave no more:
His best companions, innocence and health;
And his best riches, ignorance of wealth.
But times are alter'd; trade's unfeeling train
Usurp the land and dispossess the swain;
Along the lawn, where scatter'd hamlets rose,
Unwieldy wealth and cumbrous pomp repose,
And every want to opulence allied,
And every pang that folly pays to pride.
Those gentle hours that plenty bade to bloom,
Those calm desires that ask'd but little room,
Those healthful sports that grac'd the peaceful scene,
Liv'd in each look, and brighten'd all the green,--
These, far departing, seek a kinder shore,
And rural mirth and manners are no more.
Oliver Goldsmith - extract from 'The Deserted Village' First Published in 1770.
It has been suggested that Goldsmith was thinking of the Oxfordshire village of Nuneham Courteney when he wrote the poem.
Beresford M.W.'The Lost Villages of England' Lutterworth Press 1963
Beresford M.W.'History on the Ground' Lutterworth Press 1971
Beresford M.W. and Hurst J.G. 'Deserted Medieval Villages' Lutterworth Press 1971
Beresford M.W. and St Joseph J.K. 'Medieval England - an Aerial Survey' Cambridge University Press 1979
Hoskins W.G.'The Making of the English Landscape' Hodder & Stoughton 1988
Return to top of page
Send an e-mail to the compiler of this page.